research - importance of team work

I am just trying to put together a few thots I got about my work in general and role of a team in particular. I am just trying to put in words as I think.
I think its important to have had a research group (under a supervisor, in this context) working on similar things. I mean a team is so important in research I realise.
I started with my seniors code and tried to understand it for some time. During this time, I started believeing that whatever he must have done would have been validated. But as it turned out, some of his things (for eg. A particular value in one of the tables was labelled incorrectly) were not entirely right. By not right I mean not correctly presented. And in retrospect, I feel, I lost considerable time in reaching this conclusion. Time apart, it also means that I have naturally become suspicious about other things he has presented.
As it turns out, the senior who wrote the code left before i joined. So we couldnt meet when i started and moreover i was the only person working on this code ! All and All I feel, either he should have been here so that I could have discussed things with him. Or there should have been more than one person using this code, so that things would have been faster. By faster, I mean infinitely faster.
So I mean if we had a group (in fact only a couple of ppl working together would suffice) working on same thing as me, the phd would have been a different story till now …
I am not complaining or ruing, but reflecting ..

I imagine how fast and easy it would be to do research if someone was working with you on the same thing .. it would be really a blissful situation !!

Anyways, this is kind of what I am feeling about research in groups right now. Working in groups is going to be much much faster way to do research !

the point is, I want views from other phds/researchers on this point ... have they noted this too ..
Aditya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wimbledon

A Welsh Diwali

Tryst with my Hero